Working sessions will be available, via registration, most afternoons, both on weekdays and weekends, 1 to 4 PM. These working sessions will not be “one off”, requiring people with conflicting schedules to all be available for an occasional special event. Small teams of just two or a few volunteers will be the norm. Access to Signup Genius for registration is by invitation from Ben. To receive an invitation, send an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The description of IVSquad follows.
Mission: Assist Virginia State Parks District 4 staff in controlling invasive plants on park property.
1. What we will do
- Manual control (with/without power tools)
- Assist park staff with herbicide treatment
- Assist with session logistics
- Document session activity
- Locate and document species occurrence
- Perform follow-up monitoring
2. Who may participate
- Any Pocahontas registered volunteer
3. When activities take place
- Guided session schedule will be posted on Signup Genius
- Guided sessions will be available on weekdays and weekends.
- Participants may register for any session in the schedule.
- Members having appropriate training (via prior guided sessions) are at liberty to work independently
4. Where sessions will be held
- In Pocahontas (and possibly in another District 4 park)
- Specific location to be announced in session confirmation email
5. How we are organized
- Our project will be known as IVSquad
- Sessions are initially guided by Ben Hedges or Irene Frentz
- Participants are encouraged to share guide responsibilities or other roles in order to grow the squad
- Irene Frentz and The Friends of Pocahontas are the squad sponsors
6. How we operate
- Tools and supplies are funded by The Friends of Pocahontas
- Participants are responsible for snack, drink, gloves, personal items
- Participants registered for a session via Signup Genius will receive a confirmation email the day before the session
- Each session has an attendance and status report (name, emergency contact number, activity date, location, accomplishment)
- Attendance and status are stored on Dropbox at FoPSP Documents\IVSquad
- Species data for each session is recorded online (website TBD)
- Record volunteer hours on the State Parks volunteer website as General Park Opp (PO)
- VMN members may also record VMN volunteer hours under Pocahontas State Park - Stewardship